The Art of Junk Contest
Watch this space for information on the Art of Junk at the Fall 2014 Junk Bonanza!
Rules from the Fall 2013 contest:
The Bonanza welcomes entries from all talented artisans, vendors and community members in the Greater Twin Cities area.
A panel of experts in the fields of design, vintage, and craftsmanship will choose one first-, second- and third-place winner for the best decorative or upcycled entry using junk, castoff or vintage materials from a total of 10 finalists.
The categories are:
- Home decor (including but not limited to: lighting, wall art, sculpture and functional accessories).
- Garden decor
- Wearable art (including but not limited to: jewelry, clothing and fashion accessories. Clothing items must include an additional, unexpected vintage element in addition to the textiles used).
As with goods admitted to the Junk Bonanza, all entries must include a major component or components that are 40 years or older!
We will award a $500 cash prize to the first-place entry. The second- and third-place winners will be awarded $350 and $150, respectively.
Bonus: All finalists who are Fall 2013 vendors will also win free early setup for their Junk Bonanza booths on Tuesday, Sept. 24!
Enter by Sept. 15
You can do so with the electronic form, here.
You are allowed to enter more than one item. Each item must be entered on a separate form.
Your entry must include:
- At least one high-quality jpeg snapshot of your entry. Multiple shots from different angles are encouraged.
- The title of the piece
- How you altered your piece
- What inspired your entry
- Description and history of the materials used (especially those not visible in the snapshot).
- How long it took to construct the piece
- The price at which you wish to sell your entry, if you do
Remember, the item needs to be small enough to fit through the Canterbury Park entrances.
The entries will be culled to 10 finalists, each of which will be arranged in a special area with gallery-like display. Finalists will also have their photos and bios on display.
Entries will be judged on criteria including but not limited to: creativity, originality, style, quality of workmanship and vintage elements used.
The judges will select first-, second- and third-place winners on Wednesday, Sept. 25; they will be identified by ribbons.
Items will be on display and available for sale at the show with pickup after 2 p.m. on Saturday. Signage will direct attendees to artisan’s booth for purchase or to learn more about each artisan's work.
The 10 finalists will be notified and featured on the Junk Bonanza blog and JB Facebook page prior to the event.
The Junk Bonanza is not responsible for any theft, loss or damage.